Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Anatomy of Blindness

sa isang iglap akala mo mababago na ang buhay ko...pero ito, isang pagsubok lang ito...

It was thursday, typical 6a.m. I woke up looking forward to a cup of coffee, noticed the cracked aquarium decorations on the table, started gluing the pieces back. All of a sudden, there was a 'pop!', then eye pain ensued. Maybe I strained my eyes too much? Maybe my blood pressure is high? Maybe it was meant to be? As I cupped my right eye there was little relief. Closed all the lights in the kitchen, and lo and behold! the telltale halo around the oven clock danced in rainbow colors. My brain screamed 'HOLY SHIT! It cannot be!' But it is what it is, and i know i need to be seen by an eye doctor ASAP! Daylight started creeping in, so did the smoke on my right eye. 7 a.m. came and my right eye can only discern shadows within 10 ft. My whole being was in panic.

Since my brother is going to work, I asked my dad to drive me to the Urgent Care. Thank God for fathers!

At the Urgent Care, the doctor kept asking me if I have blood pressure issues, because my bp was 140 something over 80 something. In my mind I was like, its not that high really. They sent me to the opthalmologist. I went through a series of eye drops, eye probing, eye charts, the whole 1-million-dollar workup. They even took pictures which I thought was very interesting, but i never saw the pics so i remain curious.

This one lady, I do not know if she is a nurse or a tech, has this accent I really like, it doesnt sount quite frech or german or scottish...swiss maybe? I never dared to ask.

After the series of eye poking ang prodding, the doctor himself came in and couldn't believe with his own eyes! (no pun intended) The pressure in my eye was really high despite multiple measurements. He peered inside my eyeball for possible causes and seemed puzzled. When he was done he explains to be that there are possible causes for my condition but he cannot see any. He was considering the possibility that there must be something causing increased pressure behind my eye (my advanced mind was like 'omg don't tell me I have brain tumor or something devastating like that). Like everyone else who asked me, he asked me if it was possible that I have family history of Glaucoma (neg.), if I take any medications (neg.), if I had some sort of a seizure before the eye pain (neg.). He did comment that I have an old retinal detachment on my right eye, which enraged me because I swear I felt. I remember I was on my last year in Nursing School in the Philippines. I saw floaters and flashes of light, the eye pain, and days of cloudy vision. I remember blogging it too! (friendster days) I had to go to class half blind, and I cannot believe the opthalmologist (oh I remember your name) in Lorma Medical Center told me my eye was perfectly fine!! That could've been lawsuit right there! I cannot believe it! What if it was a full-blown detachment?? I would've gone blind!!

Anyway the doctor now tells me that I might go through more tests to find out why in heavens did my eye act out all of a sudden. I was given some eye drops and was required to take Diamox (Acetazolamide) at home and to return the next day to the optha for some more eye probing. Sounds fun!

Something new for me, nuh?! I'll live...